Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Time to Dance

I have a new morning routine. My new routine is designed to help me slow down and be more engaged in this good life. In my new routine, I try to get up before the rest of the family (as I did in my old routine), but now, instead of getting ready and hurrying off to Starbucks before work (old routine), I now stumble straight into the kitchen. I usually put on some type of music to set the mood for a happy home when my people wake up; something that is conducive to worshipping God – usually a little Dave Matthews, U2, David Crowder, Norah Jones or Veggie Tales. Normally, by this time, the boys are awake (and it does not matter if it is 5:30 am or 7:30 am – If I’m in the kitchen, somehow, they know it) and we begin working on breakfast. After breakfast everyone goes to their rooms, gets dressed, brushes their teeth and whatever else needs to be done.


It’s during this time, that I make my way to our playroom and set the ipod to any number of songs that immediately signal to the boys….it’s time to dance. It’s kind of funny because they know what these tunes are.


As soon as my people hear, I Got a Feeling (Black Eyed Peas), Hey, Soul Sister (Train), Christ is Risen (Jeremy Riddle), I Just Haven’t Met You Yet (Michael Buble), or any other number of songs – they dance their way to the playroom – no matter what they were in the middle of. Literally, sometimes they arrive with a toothbrush in hand, sometimes with just one shoe on, sometimes with no pants – no matter what they were in the middle of – each Jeansonne boy finds his way to the playroom, moving to the music (even our 15 month old…he can’t talk but he can dance!)


For the past number of weeks, it has been the greatest moment of most of my days. Me and my boys dancing it up together, for minutes each morning. Unfortunately, these boys are learning their moves from me, but that’s another blog for another day. (If you need an image think of an NFL player’s touchdown celebration and combine that with Ellen’s mad dance skills.)


It’s a fantastic way to start our day.


Now, dancing with my boys might just be for a season, but dancing with my boys each morning has reminded me and will hopefully instill within them, that no matter how busy and/or serious things get in our lives…..


It’s good to make time to dance.




6 comments:

Rebecca Allen said...

Oh my gosh I love it!! I hope I get to witness this in person someday. Hahahaha! Awesome. They will probably always remember these fun mornings. You're a good dad!

Unknown said...

This is adorable! What a great way to start a day!

Chad Estes said...

Love this! My kids are now 17, 15, 12 and 10 and they still love to dance with us!

Pi Man said...

Absolutely beautiful, Bro! What a wonderful memory to have with the fam! I think you ought to set up the video and capture a few of those dances for posterity... and some laughs! Peace, TA

Carlos said...

It is said that God is the real "Lord of the Dance." Thanks for sharing this :)

Erynn Mitchell said...

Hey Brian! Ok, so I am getting ready for school and thought, "I outta go check my email real quick...". Of course one cannot JUST check their email, or at least I cannot. So I was looking at a couple of things and about to head to facebook to see if I had any messages when I "accidently" clicked on your link. I put accidently in quotations because I don't believe it was an accident. = ) You are an amazing writer, father, and child of God and I am rambling now, so I will finish by saying thank you. Thank you for your loyalty, obedience and love. Thank you for reminding me to live life, not just survive life! Miss you guys!